On Saturday, September 29 the South Greene Band of Rebels Started the 2018 competition season with a win and defense of their repeated Class A-1 Championship at the Chilhowie, VA Apple Festival Marching Band Competition. In addition to the Class win, the Rebel Band also took first place in all captions, including; Music, Marching, General Effect, Drum Major, Percussion and Colorguard. This Saturday; October 6 the Band travels to Bristol, VA for the Tennessee High School Music In The Castle Competition.
The last few weeks of school after students return from Thanksgiving break are going to be quite busy! Please make sure you check out the calendar page!
There are two Christmas parade rehearsals (11/29 and 12/1) the Tuesday and Thursday after Thanksgiving Break. They are from 3:30-5:00 in the SGHS band room. This is for 7-12 grade students only. The parade itself is Sunday, December 4th. Please see the parade flier below for more detailed information.
Our 7th/8th grade band has a rehearsal for the Christmas concert on Tuesday, December 6th from 3:30-5:30. It will be in the SGHS bandroom and it is mandatory. This rehearsal will be the last opportunity for the middle school students to rehearse as a full group before the concert.
The South Greene Bands Christmas Concert is going to be Thursday, December 8th at 7:00 pm. It will be held at Greeneville First Church of God (1505 W Main St, Greeneville, TN 37743). All of our students in grades 6-12 will be performing at this concert and it is open to the public. We are busy preparing lots of great holiday music for your enjoyment and we hope that you can attend and will bring along family and friends as well. See the concert flier below for more detailed information.
Our band is having a South Greene Band Spirit Wear Sale! We are selling t-shirts, long sleeved shirts, and hoodies. Students have all been sent home with information regarding this sale and an order form. Copies of the order form can also be found on the documents page on this website. Anyone is free to purchase our South Greene Band Spirit Wear so encourage family and friends!
November has been an exciting month so far for our band program!
1. Our sixth grade beginning band students had their first official band concert and they did a fantastic job! We are super proud of the work they have done so far this year and are excited for our upcoming Christmas concert!
2. One of our high school seniors, Alec Rains, auditioned for All-East Jazz Clinic and made 1st chair tenor saxophone!! We are proud of the work he has put in to achieve this honor and can't wait to hear him represent our South Greene band program at the All-East Jazz concert at Walker Valley High School on Saturday, January 28th.
3. MANY DATES HAVE BEEN ADDED TO THE BAND CALENDAR PAGE. Please make sure you look over the dates for rehearsals and performances for the rest of the semester. Things get quite busy when we return from Thanksgiving Break!
Our sixth grade beginning band students have been working hard this semester learning to play their instruments! Their first concert will be on Thursday, November 10th at 6:30 in the SGHS cafeteria. Please see the document below for more details.
This Friday, November 4th is band picture day for our high school marching band. Students need to make sure they have all of their uniform parts including marching shoes with them here at school that day. Order forms are being sent home with students this afternoon. Thanks!
Friday (10/14) - There is a football game! and it is Senior night!
High school students need to report to the band room no later than 5:30.
We will also need several student volunteers to help set up the sweet shop around 4:30, so please let Mrs. Jennings know if you can assist with this. The Senior night ceremony will take place before the game, and we will perform our field show at halftime.
Saturday (10/15) - Meadow Creek BBQ Fundraiser!
Band students in grades 7-12 should report to Meadow Creek church by 2:45 Saturday afternoon.
We will be performing so make sure you bring your instrument and pep tunes. Wear a South Greene band shirt if you have one or something South Greene school colors if you don't. Students will be responsible in assisting with this event and helping to clean up afterward. They can be picked up at 7:30pm.
This is a reminder that the ticket money for our Meadow Creek BBQ fundraiser is due tomorrow. Please make sure that your students brings the money and any unsold tickets in a sealed envelope with their name written on the front. The fundraiser itself is next Saturday, October 15th from 3:00-7:00. Our 7th-12th grade students are performing and helping out at this fundraiser. They will need to be at Meadow Creek Presbyterian Church next Saturday by 2:45 and can be picked up at 7:30 as students will need to stay and help clean up and load up all of our band equipment. They need to wear a South Greene band shirt if they have one or something South Greene school colors. I'm not sure what the weather looks like for next weekend yet, but they will probably also want to bring a light jacket. We are still in need of a volunteer to pull the band trailer to Meadow Creek Church on Saturday as well, so let us know if you can take care of this for us.
Several of you have stepped up to bring in items for our 'sweet shop' table for tomorrow's game and/or offered to help out at the game in other ways and our band really appreciates that! However, we still need at least 3 more volunteers to help work the sweet shop table. It is our homecoming game tomorrow night and there should be a large crowd. If we have enough volunteers to run the sweet shop table then the band could raise quite a bit of money. But if we can't get enough volunteers we will not be able to set it up and our program will miss out on a great opportunity. So once again, on behalf of our program and your students, please volunteer to help at this game if you can. Especially if you have not worked the table yet this year. Our band program is growing and we should have plenty of parent help. We cannot and should not rely on the same volunteers to help out each time. Let me know ASAP if you can help run the sweet shop table either this Friday or next Friday as well.
Parents, there are several things that the band needs volunteers for over the next two weeks! Below is a list of areas where help is needed; please let us know as soon as possible if you can help out! Thanks in advance for all that you do for our band students.
1. 3-4 more volunteers are needed to help with the sweet shop this Friday, October 7th (homecoming), and 2-3 more to help next Friday on Senior Night. If you haven't helped out with this yet, now is a great time!
2. We need a couple large jugs of cooking oil (vegetable) brought in for frying the oreos also.
3. We need parents to bring in brownies, rice krispie treats, etc. to sell at the 'Sweet Shop' table. Please package them in individual portions and send them to the band room on Friday before the game.
4. VERY IMPORTANT! We need a couple of band dads/grandads to help with moving percssion equipment this Friday. Mr. O will not be able to attend the game this Friday so we need a couple of parents to assist us with the percussion ATV. We will need help pulling the equipment to the field for the homecoming ceremony (around 6:40), and pulling it on and off the field for our halftime field show performance. We will also need to return it back to Well's after the game Friday night.
5. We need a volunteer to pull the band trailer to our Meadowcreek Fundraiser next Saturday, October 15th. The trailer will need to be there at 2:45 and will then need to be pulled back to the band room after the event.